Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Amber D. is living with a young Chimney Sweep


living with a chimney sweep

Chimney-sweep
It started out innocently enough last Thursday.  He wanted to be a chimney sweep.  Not just any chimney sweep.  He was very specific.  He wanted to be "Dick Van Dyke acting the part of Burt, the chimney sweep" from Mary Poppins.  Okay then.
Chimney-sweep-toddler
The next day was the same.  As was the next.  He played with his little brother but "as a chimney sweep" only.  We went out to a restaurant.  We went to a few stores.  We went about our normal business except that for the last six days I have had a chimney sweep for a son.  Soot and all.

Chimney-sweep-costume
On all these outings, only one person questioned us while we were in line at a kid's clothing store exchanging something.  A woman in line next to us nearly collapsed from concern and asked me, "Did he fall down?  What are all the bruises on his face from?"  I swear she was reaching for her cell phone, ready to call Child Protective Services.  "Uh, what?"  I'm so completely used to life with a chimney sweep that I was confused and actually looked at my other(clean as a whistle) child first, thinking he probably did have a bruise or two from falling down.  Then finally I explain, "Oh, he is dressed up like a chimney sweep.  That is soot."  The woman laughs with relief.
The best part of living with a chimney sweep though is...
Soot-chimney-sweep
That sometimes just looking at him makes me laugh so hard that I can't even take proper photos and half of my photos wind up like this one below:

Chimney
But that is okay because he is too busy laughing too.

DSC_0021
And laughing...
DSC_0022
And laughing...

DSC_0023
He makes a mean batch of molasses cookies, which we now have dubbed "Soot Cookies" forever.

DSC_0025
We're going on day SIX today and we are even going on a vacation soon.  Will the chimney sweep be joining us?  I wonder how long this will last.  It sure has been fun.

Do you let your kids dress up and go places?  What was the wildest outfit that was paraded in public?

No comments:

Post a Comment